Friday, July 4, 2008

AN AMERICAN DETOUR

So my Beer tales from Europe will be put on hold , because I wish to use this entry to speak about America's Independence Day. Now keep in mind, I am English, so my history of this holiday may not be the sharpest, or even "historically accurate".  So many years ago, a Revolution happened, for some reason the "Americans" decided they didn't need the lovely mannered english gentleman to have a say in their ways.  So a big fight occurred, and the English were scuttled back to England by some dudes on horses holding guns wearing white wigs or something. Then a bunch of guys, one who was named Handpenis or something, went"We look the same as the english, and  we sorta sound the same(The accent was still there I'm guessing, even if it was a more Transatlantic accent), how in the world can we make other countries realize that we aren't cut out of the same cloth?And thus, the Declaration Of Independence was made, a single document that was made to make a statement that "All men were made equal,  but with that said, the British Empire should toss off.." 


Now what does this have to do with beer you ask? Well I too had a revolution myself a while back.  When I started getting into beer as a hobby, I wished to talk about it with my friends, as most people would want to do when they have a new found hobby. However, I noticed people would start staring at me as if I was a beer Junkie and were afraid I was going to beat them up until I got my next fix.  Now, there is a different between an appreciation of beer, and a desire to just have a lot of it. One could be called an Aficionado, the other, and alcoholic. The only way I could really think to prove that I was honestly interested in beer, was to start documenting it and remembering each one I had. The difference between me and a Frat guy would just be, I would remember what I was having and If I enjoyed it or not, rather than just getting drunk of whatever.


So to make a long story short, I've made my own Declaration of Independence. THE BEER LIST, this will give me the mental argument that I've annexed myself from the oppressing group of belligerent drunkards. Come 2am in the morning, I may still look like a Wino, and may act like a wino, but with this document, everyone will know in my hearts of hearts, that I am a true Aficionado. So click on the link, browse around, and use it as a set off point to make your own list if you want. Hope everyone has a fun Hot Dog day, and I will be posting about my Belgium trip as soon as I get the pictures. 

1 comment:

anna said...

That list still blows my mind. I think this was a very relevant and pleasing post. Keep up the good work!